Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dusk at Lipan Point, Grand Canyon National Park


I have been scouting for the nice location for sunset shooting. Lipan point immediately caught my eye by its diverse and colorful landscape. It is located just a few miles west of Desert View. I think this is my favorite view point in the East Rim Drive.

On one side, it is the typical Grand Canyon view - big fissures of the Colorado Plateau. Despite the hazy condition, the light after sunset is amazing. In this case, I would treat the hazy atmosphere as a friend rather than a foe - its help to create the sense of depth.


On the other side, the Colorado River winding through the colorful landscape. The telephoto lens did a great job in capturing the scene. When I return from the trip, I was amazed that many of the good shots are the merit of telephoto lens, not the ultra wide-angle!


This is one of my favorite close-up shot, with definite placement of elements. Granite rocks and trees as foreground elements. The rusty red rocks as mid-ground elements. The layered Paleozoic rocks and Colorado River as background elements.



This is another view on the East site. The soft light after sunset create a peaceful atmosphere. I am so glad I was standing here, witnessing one of the natural wonders of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment